The town of Paradis, LA traces its history back to 1856 when Edouard Paradis came down from Quebec, Canada to provide crossties for the railroads being constructed in St. Charles Parish. Since then, the area around Paradis has attracted generations of hunting and outdoor enthusiasts alike.
The main lodge located at The Island was built entirely from cypress logged and timbered from the Des Allemands area. In 1946, this original structure was acquired from the Sun Oil Company and transported by barge from Cocodrie, LA to its current location in Paradis. At that time, the lodge housed the Louisiana Land and Exploration Company’s crew while they constructed a levee around the 3,000 acre property. The property has been operated as a hunting lodge since the 1960s. In 1984, large additions and renovations were made to the lodge, increasing the size of the camp to accommodate more guests. Finally in 2018, the camp was yet again renovated turning it into the beautiful lodge it is today.
The Island is also the original home of Spots, the beloved blue-eyed white alligator who lived at the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas for 24 years. Spots was recovered from an adjoining area in 1986 by the original land owners, Louisiana Land and Exploration Company, and lived on the grounds until he was donated to the Audubon Zoo in 1990.